01 August 2010
No. of pages:
The Definitive Guide to Investing in Timberland is an in-depth guide to understanding, assessing and investing in timberland along with opportunities to add value. Whether investing through a fund manager or as a fund manager, the guide provides valuable insight and practical guides which shed light on a variety of subjects.
Sustainable, global and a potentially excellent hedge against inflation
Investors have had a variety of reasons for investing in timberland – a generational asset, a saleable piece of real estate, a renewable crop, projected carbon credits – but why should a private equity investor look at timberland now as an asset class?
Since the 1980s, the ownership baton has passed from corporations to Timber Investment Management Organisations (TIMOs), Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) and now, increasingly, to private equity investors. Combining increased corporate awareness with global and national incentives to minimise carbon footprints, timberland as an alternative asset class is coming to the fore.
Historically, timberland has:
- outperformed inflation by an average 3.3% pa
- demonstrated a 20-year upward trend for lumber prices
- generated strong returns on a risk to return basis compared to other asset classes
The Definitive Guide to Investing in Timberland is an in-depth guide to understanding, assessing and investing in timberland along with opportunities to add value. Whether investing through a fund manager or as a fund manager, primarily written by experts, this guide provides investors and fund managers with valuable insight and practical guides which shed light on a variety of subjects from first considering timberland as an asset class to final exit via environmental factors and adding value.
- An introduction to timberland: what it is and why it provides an attractive alternative asset class
- Current performance and a prognosis for the future
- Exclusive material written by companies already active within timberland and forestry
- Each chapter written by well-respected experts in their field, providing you with highly practical experience for investing in timberland
- Secondary market perspective
- A glossary of terms
- Practical checklists and case studies
This title is essential reading for
- Fund Managers
- Investment Advisers
- Asset Managers
- Anyone else interested in investing in timberland