ABN AMRO Capital buys French drink brands

The European mid-market buyout investor has acquired a number of liqueur and spirit brands from Rémy Cointreau in a €210 million transaction.

ABN AMRO Capital, the private equity arm of the Dutch bank, has agreed with French international drinks company Rémy Cointreau to acquire a selection of key liqueurs and spirits in a transaction valuing the business at €210 million ($250 million).

The buyout will result in the formation of new company Lucas Bols, in which ABN AMRO Capital will control a 75 percent stake. The new management, led by Huub van Dorne, a former Rémy Cointreau group executive board director, will hold the remaining 25 percent.

Originally founded in Amsterdam in 1575, Lucas Bols will take over the production, distribution, sales and marketing of a range of international spirit brands, including Bols, Galliano, Vaccari, Sambuca, Pisang Ambon, Damrak Gin, Bokma, Hartevelt, Genevers and Coebergh. In total, the brands account for sales of three million cases a year, according to ABN AMRO Capital.

ABN AMRO Capital said that the Bols brands will continue to be sold in more than 110 countries worldwide, although the strategy of the new business will be to focus on the markets of Europe, predominantly in the Netherlands, the US, Japan and Australia.

ABN AMRO Capital was not immediately available for comment.

ABN AMRO Capital most recently invested in the food and drinks sector through last November’s acquisition of the Nutrition and Santé business unit of Swiss-headquartered pharmaceutical and consumer health company Novartis for €220 million.